HPE Applies Machine Learning to Drag-and-Drop Cognitive App Development
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) today announced a new tool that combines machine learning APIs and cognitive services with visual development to democratize those cutting-edge technologies for mainstream developers.
The new offering is called HPE Haven OnDemand Combinations and, as the name suggests, it's built upon the existing HPE Haven OnDemand, a cloud platform used for Big Data development that provides machine learning APIs and services.
HPE described HPE Haven OnDemand Combinations -- available now upon request -- as the quickest way to add intelligence to apps, as it reportedly smoothes the often tedious process developers and data scientists have to go through to leverage existing data-related APIs in their software development.
"The new offering provides a pre-built catalogue of cognitive services and an intuitive drag-and-drop interface," HPE said in a statement today. "Developers can chain together multiple machine learning APIs into combinations and copy and paste the code directly into their development projects, to quickly and easily create breakthrough mobile and enterprise applications."
To further simplify the process, a Combinations Marketplace serves as a repository of these various public and private APIs from which developers can pick and choose those most suitable for their projects. Developers who create API combinations can publish their creations in the marketplace for reuse on all their projects.
"HPE Haven OnDemand Combinations enables developers to improve time to market and ROI for app development and IT modernization projects with rapid integration of cognitive services designed to accelerate development with fewer lines of code, reduced testing with reusable APIs, and improved app performance with fewer API calls and less latency," said HPE in a blog post today. "Combinations is the fastest possible way to add intelligence to apps and increase ROI for your business. It's like plug-and-play machine learning for enterprise apps."
Capabilities of the new offering as listed by HPE include:
Simplified coding and improved performance by reducing complex code to a single API call that supports unlimited transformations, parallel processing and reduced latency as a result of fewer API calls.
- Simple drag-and-drop graphical UI that enables developers to chain any number of HPE Haven OnDemand's more than 70 APIs to create, test and publish new services in minutes.
- Publish and reuse. Custom combinations are securely published to the organization account for reuse and augmentation.
- Developer and commercial versions. Developers can build new combinations for prototype apps free of charge simply by signing up for a Freemium account while paying customers benefit from increased quotas and enterprise grade service level assurance.
- Delivered via the Microsoft Azure Cloud platform to ensure mission-critical performance, reliability, security and scale.
- Emphasis on machine learning innovation by facilitating the development of new services and applications with only a few lines of code to harness the power of machine learning.
Interested developers can now request early access to HPE Haven OnDemand Combinations, which is set for general availability in the company's fiscal Q4, 2016 (Sept. 1 to Oct. 31.).
David Ramel is the editor of Visual Studio Magazine.