Google Will Host Global Developer Event May 31
Search and Web tool provider Google Inc.
has launched its inaugural Google Developer Day
, which will host various events at Google offices across 10 nations on May 31. The event appears to be free, but attendees must send an RSVP via the Developer Day site to be registered for the talks (some of which are already full and compiling waiting lists).
Featuring keynotes, workshops and breakouts, the day-long event will hinge on the theme of "Building Blocks for Better Web Applications," which aims to encourage developers to innovate new Google Web apps, as well as enhance preexisting apps using the open-source Google Web Toolkit. Sessions headed by Google engineers and product specialists will include:
"Developers are using Google's APIs and tools to build innovative Web applications that we never dreamed of," said Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of search products and user experience, in a prepared statement. Mayer said the event seeks to encourage developers to network, learn new techniques, get answers to their questions and tell Google how it can improve its developer tools.
The global May 31 event will start in Google's Sydney, Australia location at 9 a.m. local time, and end at 7 p.m. local time in its Mountain View office. A full list of the offices and event times can be found on the Google Developer Day web site.
Google experts tapped to present at the various offices include:
- Mountain View -- Bruce Johnson and Joel Webber, co-creators of the Google Web Toolkit, and Bret Taylor, group product manager for Google developer products.
- London -- Chris DiBona, Google open source programs manager.
- Madrid -- Mark Stahl, Google data APIs tech lead.
- Beijing -- Guido Van Rossum, Google software engineer and creator of the Python programming language.
- Tokyo -- Greg Stein, Google engineering manager and chairman of the Apache Software Foundation.
- Sydney -- Lars Rasmussen, Google Maps senior engineer.
David Kopf is a freelance technology writer and marketing consultant, and can be reached at [email protected].