MMM-Experts is a little Visual Studio .NET add-in that extends the IDE
in quite a few useful ways. For a very reasonable price, you get a bunch
of functionality, including:
- Jump to any file in the project, or to any function in the current
file, from simple list windows.
- Easily toggle between the form designer and the associated code file.
- Create a region.
- Wrap the selection in a Try/Catch or Try/Finally block.
- Convert a variable to the corresponding property procedures.
- Open an Explorer window or a command prompt the the location of the
- Move the cursor to the next or previous function, or to the top or
bottom of a function.
- Copy and cut functions, code elements, and other structures, so that
they can be moved easily.
- Paste the clipboard contents in as a commented selection.
Most of this works in VB .NET, C#, and C++. When you install
MMM-Experts, it binds several of these functions to keystrokes (such as
the next and previous function choices), and offers a single menu for
access to everything.
MMM-Experts doesn't try to revolutionize the IDE or add really high-end
capabilities. Instead, it's an inexpensive way to save yourself some
work. You can download a trial version if you'd like to try it out.
Mike Gunderloy has been developing software for a quarter-century now, and writing about it for nearly as long. He walked away from a .NET development career in 2006 and has been a happy Rails user ever since. Mike blogs at A Fresh Cup.