Best practices: Meta data integration
- By Johanna Ambrosio
It is not all about technology, of course; how you manage your meta data is even more important than what you use to collect it. Here are some tips from Gartner Inc., Stamford, Conn.:
• Motivate developers to document and make available to others the touchpoints they implement.
• Motivate developers to reuse touchpoints, rather than build their own.
• Implement tools and techniques to allow developers to find previously developed touchpoints.
• Begin an integration competency center to build developer techniques, share best practices across the company, and to create a repository that developers can tap into for reuse.
• Do not document every existing system; that will take too long. Instead, include in the integration repository only those applications that will be modified or used as part of a new project.
Please see the following related
“What integration meta data should you
“The next step for meta data: Application
integration” by Johanna Ambrosio
by Johanna Ambrosio
“About standards” by Johanna
Johanna Ambrosio is a freelance writer based in Marlborough, Mass., specializing in
technology and business. Contact her at email@example.com.